Fantastic career Developing Opportunity in Scientific and Medical Research
Research Scientist Sandwich Degree Industry Internship Placement
About Future Genetics
Future Genetics is a precision medicine research company whose focus is simply the patient.
We are focused on improving the healthcare of different ethnic populations in doing so and strive to have a broad and inclusive team of researchers and scientists to help reduce the current health inequalities faced by female and ethnic minorities populations.
Our UK-based research programmes are designed to address medical challenges that are faced by the NHS.
A key focus is to help reduce the challenge of health inequality by running clinical studies that include patients and healthy people across all communities and ethnicities (https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03987633). We also believe that people should be made aware of the genomic revolution that is happening around us, and what the implications of this are for them and society as a whole. Find out more by visiting the Future Genetics website here.
These are demanding Sandwich Degree Industry Internship Placements where you will be trained to review and analyse large medical and clinical datasets across multiple disease that are being investigated in the EMPOWER-1 clinical research study, which including heart disease, diabetes, cancers and neurological diseases.
You will receive training in Good Clinical Practice and will be required to develop skills and proficiency in identifying, reviewing and analysing medical, scientific and pharmaceutical data.
In addition, the work requires attention to detail and a scientific mind to extract the key information from different sets of data, which includes scientific papers and medical reports. You will also be directed to specific pharmacology, pharmacodynamics, and pharmacogenomics resources as well as molecular biology and drug databases.
These are highly academic projects that allow you to use and develop your existing scientific skills to learn complex processes related to the study of disease progression and treatments in different patient populations.
You will be expected to engage in internal and external events, attend conferences & symposia as well as engage in activities that support the company to meet its objectives on reducing health inequality.
Why work with Future Genetics?
- Opportunity to train your student mind to be sharper and advanced in research
- Equip yourself with skills early in your career, that are usually acquired at post-graduate level
- Future Genetics wants to train students as the next generation of scientists and clinicians that get involved in ethical and value driven research early in their careers
- Our organisation will benefit as we will be delivering on our goal of encouraging diversity and empowerment
What does the Work Experience Involve?
- Develop a clear understanding of the pathophysiology of diseases that causes significant poor health and death, alongside understanding the pharmacology of different drug treatments.
- Receive training to compile and analyse large and complex medical, pharmacological and genetic datasets associated with EMPOWER-1, which is the largest registered clinical research study of its kind.
- You will follow a structured learning and development experience that will equip you with clinical data analysis experience from multiple primary and secondary sources.
Desired Demonstrable Outcomes at the end of the experience
- Key Skills in Scientific and Clinical Data Analysis – you will have learnt how to dissect and critically evaluate large clinical and scientific datasets
- Key Skills in Scientific and Clinical Research – you will have Training Certificates confirming skills in areas that are relevant to your role as a Clinical Research Scientist.
- Scientific engagement and networking skills – Where practical and appropriate, you may attend at least one event or conference in the area of science or medicine (this will be arranged and supported by the Company).
Length of Work-Experience
This is an intense and challenging 12-month industrial placement:
These are 12-month industrial placement where you would be expected to attend 5 days a week (Monday-Friday) between 9-5pm.
How will you benefit?
Depending on the amount of time and effort invested in the opportunity, the project may provide:
- Research experience in working on a leading-edge multi-site clinical research study designed to reduce health inequalities
- A competitive advantage when applying for graduate opportunities in research as well as further education in the form of MSc or PhD training.
- Even if you move away from science, we hope that you will have acquired transferrable skills such as working under pressure, high level of attention to detail and meeting deadlines
- These are voluntary placements that are unpaid.
- You will be allocated a single research site at a time and that would be your regular commute which is not reimbursed for that inter-site travel.
- If you were then asked to cover multiple sites then travel between the NHS sites would invariably be reimbursed for that inter-site travel
- You may be offered the opportunity to attend national or local conferences, symposia or external events. If this involves travel outside of Birmingham your travel costs will be paid for by Future Genetics.
As these placements are only open to undergraduate students, please forward a copy of your CV to email@example.com using your university email account.
Applications submitted via non-university email accounts cannot be processed.
We will contact applicants that have been successfully shortlisted for interview within one month of them applying.